TATA Motors T1 Truck Racing Championship
Background and Objectives:
- TATA Motors, world’s fourth largest truck manufacturer and India’s largest automobile company, wanted to stay ahead in the game and assure their positioning as an innovative brand who foresees the future of the country.
- To inspire the succeeding generations to take up Truck driving as an inspirational profession as well as wanted to address the scarcity of young skilled truck drivers in India.
- To create aspiration towards trucking as a profession amongst the second generation owners & drivers and narrow down the deficit of professional drivers looking for better livelihood options for themselves.
- To showcase their technical advancements through performance excellence in Motor segment.
Strategy by T.I.C.:
Shock & Awe:
- Shock the market by creating an event that changed perception of trucks from lumbering slowpokes to hardcore racing machines.
- Awe them by executing a world class event, on F1 track with International Truck Racing drivers.
- Partner with the top international (FIA and British Truck Racing Association) and Indian (FMSCI, MMSC, Buddh International Circuit) Motorsports bodies and racing personalities (Narain Karthikeyan, Vicky Chandok) to ensure credibility for India’s first-ever Truck Racing Championship!
Creative Concept and Innovation:
- Imagine 6000 kilo roaring Mammoths, competing with each other at the speed of 110kmph.
- People are used to seeing HCVs utilized for long distance haulage of super-heavy loads at sedate speeds. We made them see these trucks in a new Avatar: Hardcore 370 bhp, 1550 Nm road-racing machines
Execution and planning:
- Over 1 million Man-hours consumed, 3 years of extensive planning
- 22 modifications made to 14 TATA Prima Trucks to transform them into Racing Giants alongwith taking care of safety as well as performance measures
- 3 months of 360 degrees pan-India BTL and ATL promotions leading up to the race day
- 14 top international drivers from the European truck racing circuits participated
- More than 5000 on ground personnel, 800 volunteers and 250 track engineers deployed at the venue
- Opening Ceremony by Manish Paul (MC) and Salim-Suleiman
- A motorcycle race and Harley Davidson rally
- A fashion show inspired by Truck Panel art
- Art trucks designed by Internationally acclaimed designer Manish Arora
- Performances by percussion artist Sivamani and singer Mika
- Truck Stunts….. and of course:
- A Sprint Race and the Finals where the metal giants raced against each other and burnt asphalt and rubber!
- Over 20,000 stadium spectators
- Over 40 million TV viewers
- More than 500 million rupees worth of media exposure
- 75 million impressions added through BTL promotions
- 16000 Likes on Facebook during race week
IMRB research verified achievement of objectives amongst the target audience:
- 69% of the audience viewed TATA motors in a different light after the event
- 83% believed that TATA Motors is ‘ahead of the times’
But the sweet spot was this – TATA Motors gave millions of Indian Truck drivers a poster on the wall they could identify with– a reason to be proud of being a TRUCK DRIVER!
“All details were planned very meticulously. The agency, our T1 event partner, was imperative to the project. Having been involved in the project right from conceptualization until execution, they have delivered on all grounds and on time which is most critical in such activities. T1 Prima Truck Racing Championship, 23rd March 2014 was just the beginning to a new era of sporting in India. We hope to create magic yet again next year with the agency as our event partner.” Charu Gulati – TATA Motors.
Project NameT1 Truck Racing
Client NameTATA Motors